I saw Emeril make a version of this recipe about five years ago. Immediately I knew I could make a wide range of variations that would be great finger foods for holidays and parties.
Since it relies on store-bought puff pastry, this appetizer is simple to make—but it will taste as though you’ve been slaving away all day. You can also prepare this recipe in advance and freeze it. Just pop it out of the freezer and allow it to thaw overnight.
- 1 sheet puff pastry (one box contains 2 sheets)
- 6 to 9 slices thinly sliced ham
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, grated
- Sprinkle counter with flour.
- Unfold pastry sheet on counter.
- Press any cracks or seams with your fingers. Dab water on any tears to help hold pieces together.
- Lay sliced of ham on top of the pastry in a single layer. Edges can overlap slightly. Leave 1/2" on the long edge of the side far from you free of filling.
- Sprinkle ham with cheese, covering all the ham.
- Roll pastry and filling like a jelly-roll, rolling away from you.
- Dab the far edge of the pastry with water and press against roll to seal as you finish the roll..
- Wrap the rollup on wax paper.
- Chill rollup, seam sides down, until firm, at least 20 minutes
- To freeze: wrap rollup in two layers of foil and store in a zip-top bag.
If making several variations, be sure to add a label that indicates the filling.
- If frozen, allow the pastry to thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Sprinkle counter or cutting board lightly with flour.
- Slice the rollup into 1/2" slices and transfer to a baking sheet, using a thin, metal pancake turner or spatula (to avoid losing any fillings). Arrange 1″ apart on sheet.
- If some of the cheese falls out, simply sprinkle it on top of the slice.
- Bake in batches in middle of oven until golden, about 14 to 16 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for 3 to 4 minutes before serving.
- (Optional) Serve with honey mustard or Dijon mustard.
Nearly any combination you desire can work as the filling for these rollups. Here are a few variations we like.
- Sliced roast beef with sharp cheddar.
- Sliced corned beef with Swiss. Serve with thousand island dressing, if desired.
- Sliced pepperoni with mozzarella (this can be greasy). Serve with marinara, if desired.
- Sliced turkey with cheddar or Swiss. Sprinkle with bacon bits, if desired. Serve with Ranch dressing.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on the puff pastry and top with sun-dried tomatoes and caramelized onions. (This variation cannot be frozen.)
Time Required: 30 mins