Decided I was in the mood for a bowl of soup, but wanted to try something different. I knew my search was over when I found Paula Deen’s Tastes Like Lasagna Soup. Everyone in the family loves lasagna, and Paula’s recipe sounded like a fun, new variarion. My version uses a few alternative ingredients, but it’s very close to the original.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 cups water
- 4 cubes chicken bouillion
- 2 (14.5-oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 (16 oz.) box lasagna noodles, broken into 1″ to 2″ pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Crumble ground beef in a large soup pan. Season with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 mins.
- Add chopped onion and bell pepper, and continue to cook until beef is browned and vegetables are cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Add thyme, Italian seasoning, brown sugar, water and chicken bouillon. Stir to combine.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Allow pot to continue simmering over medium heat.
- While pot simmers, break lasagna noodles into small pieces, approximately 2″ long or less. The pieces will look rustic and uneven.
- Bring to a boil, and then add broken lasagna noodles, stirring thoroughly.
- Reduce to low and simmer 20 to 30 mins, or until noodles are cooked. Soup will be thick, almost stew-like.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and allow to simmer another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spoon portions into bowls and garnish with a generous portion of mozzarella cheese.
- Follow Paula Deen’s instructions to top the soup with broiled cheese before serving. Preheat the broiler, and scoop soup into ovenproof bowls. Sprinkle each bowl generously with mozzarella cheese. Broil soups, 6-inches from heat, 3 to 4 minutes, until melted and bubbly.
- Add mozzarella cheese with Parmesan. Serve with a healthy dollop of ricotta and chopped green onion or parsley.
- Vary the ingredients to suit your favorite lasagna ingredients. You might substitute some Italian sausage for some or all of the ground beef, or add some veggies like chopped carrot, spinach, or zucchini.
- To make a vegetarian version, use vegetarian crumbles for the ground beef, vegetable broth for the water and bouillon, and add your favorite chopped veggies.
Time Required: 50 mins