I discovered this recipe when I was babysitting for a couple who were planning a party and hired me to make appetizers while they were out at a concert. They brought their friends back after the concert, and I had the appetizers ready for everyone to eat. Since then, I’ve made them many times for friends and family. They’re a simple stand-by that is widely loved (Even Paula Deen has a version of this recipe). Sausage Cheese Balls are the twenty-fifth of my 25 Appetizers of Christmas.
- 3 cups Bisquick
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 4 cups (16 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray cookie sheet lightly with nonstick spray.
- Combine ingredients thoroughly in a mixing bowl.
- Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until brown.
- Serve warm.
- I have made and frozen the unbaked balls at least a month in advance. Either thaw before baking, or increase baking time to about 30 minutes if cooked from frozen.
- I have substituted ground beef for the sausage in this recipe for tasty results. I’ve also made pizza variation with Italian sausage, mozzarella or Italian blend cheese, and, if desired, a bit of Italian seasoning.