Take a look at the picture of this fun appetizer from Pillsbury (original here), and you’ll immediately see why it is the perfect holiday treat. Festive Ham and Cheese Wreath is the eighteenth of my 25 Appetizers of Christmas.
- 8 oz (2 cups) finely shredded Swiss cheese
- 1½ cups (about 8 oz) chopped cooked ham
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 2 (12-oz) cans Pillsbury® Grands!® Jr. Golden Layers® refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed or poppy seed
- 2 tablespoons diced red and green bell pepper, if desired 1 green onion fan, if desired
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Spray large cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine cheese, ham, onions and mustard; mix well.
- Separate 1 can of dough into 10 biscuits; leave second can in refrigerator.
- Separate each biscuit into 2 layers.
- Press each biscuit layer to form 3 1/2-inch round.
- Place 1 rounded tablespoon cheese mixture on each dough round.
- Wrap dough around cheese mixture, pinching edges to seal.
- Repeat with remaining can of dough and cheese mixture.
- Arrange 8 balls, seam side down and sides almost touching, to form ring on sprayed cookie sheet, leaving 3-inch hole in center.
- Arrange 14 balls, sides almost touching, around outside of first ring.
- Arrange remaining 18 balls around outside of second ring.
- Brush wreath with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seed.
- Bake at 375°F. for 18 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Carefully slide wreath from cookie sheet onto 14-inch serving platter.
- Sprinkle with bell pepper. Place onion fan in center of wreath. Serve warm.
- To make a green-onion brush, place the tip of a knife at the onion’s middle and slit through the green ends. Place the onion in ice water, which will cause the "leaves" to curl; keep the green-onion brush in water until ready to use.
- To make ahead, assemble the wreath on a cookie sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to two hours. Bake as directed in the recipe.