The photo of this recipe, with chunks of sausage and lots of beans, has me ready for a soup night. From the October 2006 issue of All You (original here), this crockpot soup is bound to fill the house with a wonderful aroma!
- 6 (3 oz.) Italian sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 (15 oz.) cans white beans (Great Northern or navy), rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 oz.) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Poke holes in sausages and put in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add 1/4 cup water; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook sausages, turning, until lightly browned and water has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes and thyme.
- Put half of bean mixture into a slow cooker.
- Arrange sausages on top, followed by remaining beans.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Check after 2 hours and add water if mixture looks dry.
- Remove sausages; slice thickly.
- Season beans with salt and pepper.
- Return sausage to stew. (Stew can be kept, frozen and tightly sealed, for up to 1 month.)