I don’t really need a recipe for Banana Boats. I’ve been making them at camp since I was a Junior Girl Scout. This recipe from the April 2011 issue of All You (original here), however, includes instructions for cooking the treat in the oven. An option for Banana Boats that doesn’t require me to build a fire? Yes please!
- 4 small bananas
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Slit each banana lengthwise through 1 side of peel, taking care to avoid cutting all the way through banana.
- Stuff each slit with chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Wrap each banana in aluminum foil, place upright on a baking sheet.
- Bake until chocolate and marshmallows have melted, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Unwrap and serve immediately.
- For a bit of crunch, add chopped salted peanuts to the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Or, add drizzled caramel so it resembles the popular British dessert Banoffee Pie.
- You can use milk chocolate for a sweeter taste, or bittersweet for a stronger flavor.
- Instead of buying chips, you can chop up a 4-oz candy bar.