From the Taste of Home website (original online), this casserole is quite similar to a recipe that mom has been making as long as I can remember. I’m always a little ashamed to admit how much I love its comfort-food goodness when one of the main ingredients is potato sticks. This variation from Taste of Home adds vegetables. Maybe I won’t have to be quite so ashamed of this version.
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (5 ounces) albacore white tuna in water
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups potato sticks, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, combine soup and milk until blended.
- Stir in the tuna, mushrooms, vegetables and 1-1/2 cups potato sticks.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining potatoes.
- Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and potatoes are crisp.
- The name of this version of the casserole makes me wonder if a similar dish could be made with chunked turkey. Turkey in the Straw, anyone?
Time Required: 30 minutes