We loved this soup so much that the first time we made it, we ate it three days in a row. It’s one of those meals that sits in the crockpot on the kitchen counter taunting you all day long.
A definite treat for a cool fall or winter day, the soup can be easily modified to your tastesjust add or remove any of the ingredients. Because several family members have difficulty with spicy foods, for instance, we modified the recipe to make it a bit less spicy than Paula Deen’s original recipe. This is how we serve it at our house.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 (15 1/2-oz) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 1/2-oz) can red kidney beans
- 1 (15 1/2-oz) can black beans
- 1 (15 1/4-oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 1/4-oz) can white corn, drained
- 1 (14 1/2-oz) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (4 1/2-oz) cans green chiles, diced with no seeds
- 1 (4.6-oz) can black olives, drained and sliced
- 1 (1 1/4-oz) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (1-oz) package ranch salad dressing mix
- Corn chips
- Sour cream
- Grated cheese
- Chopped green onions
- Brown the ground beef and onions in a skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the browned beef and onions to a large slow cooker or a stockpot.
- Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, green chiles, black olives, green olives, taco seasoning, and ranch dressing mix.
- Cook in a slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours or simmer over low heat for about 1 hour in a pot on the stove.
- Garnish bowls with corn chips, sour cream, cheese, and green onions. Add tabasco sauce, if desired.
Time Required: 6 hrs