This recipe originally came from a box of A&P instant rice, which has been taped inside the kitchen cabinet for over 30 years now. While we’ve varied the recipe a bit over the years, it’s remained a family favorite and is a great option whenever cold and flu season comes around.
- Microwave peas and carrots according to package directions.
- Spray large skillet with nonstick spray.
- Saute onion in margarine or olive oil till golden brown.
- Stir in flour and blend well.
- Add water, chicken boullion, sugar, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in peas & carrots, chicken, and instant rice.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Substitute or any any cooked vegetables you have on hand. A bag of mixed vegetables would create a great Calico Jiffy Chicken Casserole, for instance.
- The original recipe called for sliced carrots, which were sauted 10 minutes before the onion is added to the skillet. Add a bag of frozen peas instead of peas and carrots if you try the original option.
- After the casserole cooks, add 2 cups chicken broth (or more as desired) to convert the meal to a wonderful chicken rice soup.
- Don’t have instant rice on hand? Instant brown rice is an easy substitute. Just adjust the cooking time so that rice cooks thoroughly. Alternately, add precooked long grain or basmati rice in place of the instant and simmer until rice is cooked. Be sure to add additional broth as necessary.
Time Required: 20 mins