This warm and easy soup is my version of a recipe I found on the Kate in the Kitchen blog. The original recipe used fresh chicken and vegetables, frozen tortellini, and stock. I replaced those ingredients with what I had on hand and added a bit of garlic. It was scrumptious. Next time, I’m thinking of making it, and then transferring it to the crockpot for a few hours so that the flavors deepen a bit. It’s going to make a nice warm treat once the days get a bit chillier.
- 12 oz bag mirepoix blend frozen vegetables (carrots, celery, and onion)
- 1 13 oz can chunk chicken breast, drained
- 6 cups chicken stock (or 6 cups water and 6 chicken bouillon cubes)
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 8 oz bag cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 8 oz jar prepared Alfredo sauce
- Spray large dutch oven or soup pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Saute mirepoix in olive oil until soft.
- Stir in basil, oregano, and garlic.
- Add canned chicken.
- Add stock and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add tortellini and cook until tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in Alfredo sauce and allow to simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve with grated Parmesan and bacon bits garnish, if desired.
Time Required: 30 minutes